Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Nothing...

Oh yes, I have something to talk about today. Today I would like to talk about nothing. Confused yet? Don't be, it's a pretty simple idea.

Yesterday I wanted to sell everything. Sell everything and head to YWAM NOW. Check it out: www.ywamnow.org It's in Australia and God's doing some amazing stuff with the youth there. Did you notice I used the word "want". I did it intentionally because this is a fleeting idea. I voiced it out loud last night to my roommate, who looked at my with a bit of shock. Then I said, "Yeah, I can see my parents now...'Mom & Dad I sold the Audi so I can go work with youth on the streets.'" Oh yeah, that would go over well. Then again, we'll see...It could happen after all. As far as I can see though, selling everything would be the only way to afford the DTS, pay off the bills while I'm gone and put my heart in the place it would need to be for such a journey.

I often find myself consumed with thoughts...Thoughts like, "If I had nothing, would I be better at giving everything?" "What things in my life do I need to lose in order to gain?"

Some people would associate nothingness with emptiness. I would disagree. To be empty is to not be full, you can be full of nothing. If I am who I am in Christ + plus nothing, then I am filled to the brim with Christ. I like that idea. Perhaps for the first time in my life, I see such great value in nothing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always been enchanted with the idea of giving it all up to live in total dependance on God, and on the provisions He provided... it's so daring, so seemingly romantic, and yet harsh too, but a good kind of raw-harsh that seems would be food for the soul.

I think when you trust big, and step out in faith in continually bigger ways than you thought you could, then you'd be suprised at how God will match your faith and let you encounter Him.

The thought of "having nothing" except things like a bag with essentials seems freeing to me... freedom to wander where He leads you.

6/01/2005 09:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
I found this page looking for the YWAM Newcastle site (which is www.ywamnow.com btw, not www.ywamnow.org) but I got interested reading your post. Did you end up doing a DTS? I did one last year and it was amazing. Don't let your flatmate's (or anyone else's reaction) dictate what you do with your life. Do what God tells you to (whether He tells you to go or stay) and then deal with the details. Ask Him to work on your parents hearts so that they support you in whatever God tells you to do (I imagine they would have some trepidation sending their child off to Australia!)
Don't sell everything God's given you unless He tells you to (that's unwise stewardship) but if He does tell you to, do it! And trust Him, because He's Jehovah Jairah (God, the Provider) and He will provide for you.
God bless you.

3/05/2006 05:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home