Thursday, May 26, 2005

Fear Factor

Random thought: I mixed 2 different kinds of OJ in my protein shake this morning...And I like it!

Fear. Webster's Dictionary defines it like this (their emphasis, not mine):

Fear:
1 a : an unpleasant often strong emotion caused by anticipation or awareness of danger b (1) : an instance of this emotion (2) : a state marked by this emotion2 : anxious concern :
SOLICITUDE3 : profound reverence and awe especially toward God4 : reason for alarm : DANGER

Fearless:
: free from fear : BRAVE


Interesting how you have to know the definition of fear in order to understand what it means to be "fearless" isn't it? Also interesting that God is acknowledged in the definition. Stick with me on this...

My friend Kaija is fearless. Seriously, she is amazing. I mean, she's probably got a few fears rolling around in her somewhere, I think they are selfless fears however...Things like something happening to a friend or family.

So, we were in a parking ramp yesterday. Kaija was behind me as we exited and I was behind a Saturn. We sat behind the Saturn for at least 5 minutes. The woman in the booth was filling out paperwork, taking down the license plate number, taking her time...The woman in the car seemed annoyed...but clearly had no money to pay for parking...Thus no reason to be annoyed because it was her own fault. As I sit there, patiently annoyed...Kaija begins honking her horn. Then I hear her yell out the window, "What's going on?" As time progresses and after a pleasant cell phone conversation between two very annoyed friends, I again hear Kaija honking..."I'll pay for her parking!!!" Oh my sweet Kaija. Eventually we got out of the ramp, it felt like getting out of jail!

Here's where I'm going with this. Kaija has no fear in the way that she isn't afraid to say what she thinks, stand up for what she believes in and basically share her opinion with the world. Whereas she can come off as over-bearing and maybe even a little scary, she has a kind heart, anyone can see that. I admire Kaija.

It got me thinking...What if I was fearless? What if all followers of Jesus were fearless? What if we had no hesitations about doing what Jesus would want us to do, no hesitations about sharing our faith, no worries of being offensive, none. I've seen fearless followers, my friend Obang is one. It's the desire of my heart to become a fearless follower of Jesus. Is it yours?

Ephesians 6:19,20
19Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words
may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.


I put myself into chains. Thinking that I don't want to offend others, make them uncomfortable, upset them...Then I stop and think...I stop and remember...Jesus made a lot of people uncomfortable...So maybe I should stop worrying about it. Maybe it's time I became a little more fearless.

Father, let the prayer above be my daily prayer. Help me to be fearless for You, but to not simply be fearless in my words, but also in my deeds. Help me to be fearless in my display of love. Lord this is not only my prayer for me, but for everyone. Amen.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good post!!!

5/26/2005 10:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home