Thursday, June 09, 2005

Jack & Jesus

Unlike my boyfriend, I don't typically like to upset people. (Just kidding--kinda.) However, with that in mind, I don't think that I have said or posted anything on here that would upset anyone. It is simply not the intent of this blog--Read a few blogs below if you are curious as to what the intent is.

So, I was surprised today as I clicked to view my comments that I have apparently upset one of my friends, Anonymous. I apparently upset this person so much that they felt the need to comment to me twice on the innapropriateness of my friends and I drinking. My deepest apologies for offending you my friend. Also, thank you for your prayers, however, may I ask what you are praying for me for?

Whereas I appreciate the viewpoints of others, it would be out of character for me to not respond to these comments. I disagree. I strongly disagree. Never was I raised in a way that Jesus and alcohol contradict one another.

Now, I could understand if alcohol was becoming a false idol in my life. Or perhaps I would be more open to this comment if I felt that alcohol caused me to stumble in my walk with Christ...However that is not true.

Let me tell you what I do know. I know that my Jesus loves me--AS I AM, NOT AS I OUGHT TO BE. I know that He is gracious and compassionate and utterly pleased with my efforts to become more like Him. I know that I am a sinner. I know that He knows I am a sinner. I also know that He was remarkable enough to already pay for my debts as a sinner and because of that I can openly and honestly admit my faults and short-comings to Him.

Is it so wrong for me to enjoy a Jack & Sprite? I would say no. I would say that I can have my Jack and my Jesus. It is fine for you to disagree with me...I will openly accept your opinions, but please know that they probably won't change mine.

Hebrews 4:14:
"14Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess."

I have faith. I will hold onto my faith and continue to present my daily life to the Father. If someday I feel the Father telling me that I shouldn't drink, I will stop, until then, I will enjoy both Jack & Jesus.

Dear Jesus, thank you for opportunities. Opportunities for me to examine my life and to find You in it. Opportunities to hold firm to my beliefs and seek You for more truths. Thank you for the freedom to engage in discussion with others and to know that You are there also.

5 Comments:

Blogger Laura Ibsen said...

I agree. I think that there is a lot of grey area out there for people. One person's Jack and Sprite may be another person's stumbling block. But just because something happens to be one person's stumbling block doesn't make it ok for that person to judge others for it.

1 Corinthians 6:12

"Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything."

6/09/2005 03:36:00 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Jesus drank wine. Jesus' first recorded miracle was creating wine. Jesus' last drink was a form of wine. We celebrate Communion/The Eucharist/The Lord's Supper with wine. Paul urged Timothy to drink a little wine. The list goes one ...

Just as money is, in itself, amoral (neither good nor evil) so alcohol is also amoral. And then, just as the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil, so "do not be drunk with wine ..."

The issue for me (who has no problems with drinking, but chooses not to because I believe that's the Lord's will for my life) is "nothing is prohibited unless God moves your conscience to tell you otherwise; nevertheless, I'd rather go without if I thought for one moment that my drinking would cause my brother to stumble.

6/09/2005 05:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm... interesting. I'm so paralyzed as to how to respond correctly to this post, other than to agree with you B that Jack & Jesus are quite fine together, and like you said, as long as alcohol is not an idol or something that is used for an escape.

6/09/2005 09:50:00 PM  
Blogger Kundai said...

How about this: Let us focus our minds on what defines us not what people think is right. Let me unpack that a little by saying what makes one a Christian is not what they do(or don't do for that matter). It is THE PERSON OF GOD (WHICH IS LOVE), that defines our relationship with Him. If we say that our Christianity is contigent upon our actions alone, then there's no point in the whole thing at all. GOD IS NOT CHANGED BY WHAT WE DO (whether good or bad) AND NEITHER IS HIS LOVE FOR US.

Am I saying what we do has absolutely no relevance to what we believe? No! But here's the deal; real Christianity is seeing, experiencing and being in/with the glory of God at all times. One drink, or a picture won't change God's glory and purposes in this life. Then there's the whole concept of grace which because I don't think is fully applicable here won't discuss

In another scripture, Paul exhorts us focus our minds "on things above" not the things for this earth.

6/09/2005 11:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Bethany Jo has a great blog! I've been surfing around everywhere and just love to read all this stuff. I don't have a blog to contribute to but found a place where you can get a free target gift card. I think they are limiting it so you may wanna hurry on over. the site is Target Gift Card Keep up the great work, I love Blogger!!!

11/14/2005 09:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home