Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Being Aware of What is Around Me...

I did not intend to write for some time...However I also don't believe in disobeying God when He tells you to share. So, I will share today what He has placed on my heart. I will rejoice today that God told me not to retreat, but to be strong for His names sake.

"Our social surroundings can become so polluted that we twist ourselves into shapes that we do not want to be."


I deliberately didn't list the author of this quote, it's not important who said it, but rather that is was said. I would like to share with you two things; where I live and where I come from. I live in Uptown, a trendy, classy part of Minneapolis full of interesting and exciting people...I work in Edina, a wealthy city full or rich individuals. I come from a town of 4,000 people in north-central MN, people aren't exciting, they're genuine and hearty; it's not trendy, it's home.

I've been thinking about these two places a lot lately. I've been thinking about how when I moved to Minneapolis a year ago, I cried on a weekly basis because I desired to be home, I felt empty here. Then I became submersed in my new culture. I began buying things, going out, I became trendy. Let me tell you where that got me...It got me at rock bottom in January. Lonely, in debt, emotionless, searching...

I was searching, I was found. God scooped me up in the palm of His mighty hand. He dusted me off, dried my tears and asked me to please come home. To His Home. It took awhile, you better believe it took a few months for me to shake this nonsense out of my head, remember who I was and where I came from. It took me opening my eyes and looking at the world I was and am surrounded in. Looking and knowing what of this world is important to me. Oh friends, I still have such a long way to go, but I'm getting there. I realize I know nothing of this world and have everything still to learn.

This is what has been on my heart lately...A LOT. In only 5 short days of committing myself to being focused on seeing love and listening to God, so much has been placed on my heart. Or maybe not placed, because some of it was already there, I should perhaps say it has been affirmed.

I wrote a while ago about how I don't step out of my little realm at UR and experience and embrace other cultures anymore, but how I intend to be more intentional about experiencing other worship services. I'm becoming involved with a sexual violence center as a counselor and advocate because my heart is drawn to the hurt that is there. I'm learning...Learning about others, life, the world and Jesus. Learning more than I ever remember learning. My boundaries are being stretched, my limits are being exceeded and I am being prepared.

Prepared for what you may ask? That's a good question, one which I cannot answer. I do know that I have felt for several years that God is calling me to be a public speaker. I assumed I was meant to be a motivational speaker, now I am certain He wants me to advocate. To speak for those who cannot speak, to step out of my comfort zone and to do what I am afraid to do. God is indeed preparing me for something...

I am excited and I am fearful. Friends I was being twisted into the ways of this world, I had clearly lost sight of who I was...A beloved child of God. For a moment I almost let a few people's harsh comments knock me off my feet, but praise God that I am still standing.

I delight in the fact that I know my Jesus delights in me. I rejoice in the fact that no longer will I be satisfied with having faith; I will make a greater attempt to be faithful. To act upon that faith which He has built in my heart and to act without fear. I'm rambling and I know I'm rambling, so stick with me. If I can share one thing with you today, it is that I feel there are two types of people in this world...Those who stand there and watch as something bad happens and those who do something about it. God is calling me to do something about it, what is He saying to you? It is not my desire to be content, it is my desire to be challenged.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SWEET! I used to work at a shelter for victims of physical and sexual abuse... it is a stretching place.

I'm excited about your VOICE.... and the ways in which God has, is, and will prompt you to use it.

6/14/2005 02:52:00 PM  
Blogger Laura Ibsen said...

I work in the inner-city right now, often with people who have had much abuse in their lives. It is VERY stretching. However, I have been very blessed to learn new ways to love people, and to be loved BY people.

6/14/2005 04:27:00 PM  
Blogger القمر السعودى said...

شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالقصيم
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة مكافحة البق بالاحساء

12/09/2019 05:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home