Sunday, June 19, 2005

Thoughts...Encounters...Etc.

Greetings from Sunny Florida! Actually, it just finished downpouring...but hey, that's ok. I walked the 1.5 miles to Starbucks, making it just in time to get me sweaty and miss the storm. God is good.

Here are the things that have been on my mind since arriving in Florida 2 days ago...

Everyone needs grace. Everyone wants grace. However we are often neglectful in our efforts to extend it. At least I have been. EVERYONE is worthy of grace, Jesus made us worthy of grace...So even the creepy McCreepster sitting next to me on the plane, who kept reading my magazine, taking up half of my seat and continually recovering me with my blanket, needs grace from me. So instead of getting annoyed, I needed to just love this stranger. That is what I did. In a selfish way, I feel better for doing it.

I am privileged. Example: One may not realized how blessed she is to have a car until she doesn't have one and walks miles in the Florida heat to get to and from. Far too often I think I forget just how blessed I truly am. Thanks Jesus.

People really are GOOD AT HEART. You'd be surprised how many would disagree with this thought, however I agree with Anne Frank when she wrote, "Despite all that has happened, I still believe people are really good at heart."

People I've made friends with since being here:

1. A homeless man who creates magnificent things out of the leaves from palm trees. He is so kind and his eyes are gentle. Lastnight I spoke briefly with him, this morning I saw him bathe in the ocean. My heart breaks for him.

2. 2 taxi cab drivers. One who had a strong accent and thought I was getting married while I was down here (I'm NOT). The second, a kind old man who was giving me traveling advice for the Ft. Lauderdale area (trying to save me $$). Both, so sweet and genuine.

3. My friend I just now made at Starbucks. A nice man, who very clearly wanted to talk to me. I switched seats to a comfy chair and he struck up a conversation. He is going to give me a ride back to my hotel. I realize some would think this is unsafe, I assure you this man is not dangerous (OK REID?!). ;) He's from Michigan, has taught in Japan, and is moving to DC.

I love meeting new people, this is why it makes people nervous when I travel alone. However, maybe I take too seriously the verse, "If God is with me, who can be against me?" I always feel safe because of that. I think God likes it when I make new friends. I hope it's pleasing to Him.

By the way, God was totally showing off today. First, beautiful sunny skies, calm, glassy ocean...Then thunder, black clouds and downpour. Ah, it is magnificent what He has created.

4 Comments:

Blogger eve said...

wow. that was a good post. i like how you're open to people and stuff. but be careful. someday something bad could happen. just be cautious. and the weather is crazy everywhere. never been to flordia....

6/19/2005 04:49:00 PM  
Blogger The Devil Uno said...

I admire your sentiments regarding society. FYI serial killers typically kill the submissive people, so be assertive while extending graciousness. Never stop loving!

6/19/2005 04:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember walking in Orlando (suburbia) a few years back, my first American city, that was quite a shock. It really is an environment designed for car use, understandably with the weather they experience.

What can I say, I love to walk... NYC was a blessing in that regard.

6/19/2005 10:56:00 PM  
Blogger Laura Ibsen said...

Be safe - have fun! We'll miss your sweet bat skills at softball this week!

6/20/2005 09:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home